Thursday, March 15, 2007

Family Medicine


Knee deep in family practice right now. I was a little worried before the rotation started that maybe I would not like it and then what would I do because I've always thought that family practice is what I want to do. No worries so far, I am loving it. I'm even having fun with the overweight men with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I think family practice has the perfect blend of talking with patients, examining patients and doing small procedures. The brain and hands both get a workout. In one week I have had a plethora of interesting patient encounters: Intractable crying, except when lying down, Kids with hurty ears, Buddhist with schizophrenia, Lots of high blood pressure, Lots of depression, I got to do a pap!, Knee injuries, Vague chronic pain, you name it and it will probably walk through your door eventually. If the psych ward is like a pirate ship (not my analogy but I like it) then the family practice clinic is like a circus.
Everyday I laugh, want to cry, am challenged, feel incredibly naive. I don't think my naivety is a completely bad thing even though it feels like a hindrance sometimes. I think it can be valuable to come at medicine or patients with a lets call it fresh perspective. Here is an example of where I am naive, I mean fresh. People can get really sick. I am totally new to the idea that someone can have so much edema/swelling that it can seep out through their skin. I don't think I really knew this a month ago. And I have been interested in health care for about 17 years, I've been thinking about medical school for about 10 years, I've made an actual commitment to becoming a doctor for 7 years now and I didn't fully realize that you could soak your pants and shoes with fluid seeping out your skin. I feel silly and thankful that I've had such a healthy family. In other words, this never happened to any of my grandparents. I also feel really naive about medications. They have never really been a part of my life and I have a hard time relating to them. I also have a really hard time imagining myself actually prescribing them without freaking out about it. I am a not pill person myself. I don't even like to take ibuprofen or tums. I do sometimes, but very rarely. It just doesn't occur to me to take things, except a multivitamin and a fish oil capsule. Does that sound weird? It feels weird in the world of medicine. So these are a few things I have thought about this week.