Sunday, January 6, 2008

Arts and Crafts and Sleep Deprivation

I don't mind living in a house where there are no carpets. So when water spills from the child's tea set or the geriatric cat pukes or the geriatric dog has an accident in the middle of the night leaving generous sized "hershey's kisses" on the floor for us to find in the morning at 4:30 am when I have to get up to get to the current rotation by 6am, clean-up is easier than it would be with carpet. Everyone is entitled to and proud of their creations.
I don't mind drips of fingerpaint on the floor because I only buy washable, water soluble paint so we have had very few tragedies despite the amount of painting we do around here.
I don't mind little hands covered in Elmer's glue covered in short grain white rice (even though the original idea was that the rice be glued to paper) because ultimately it washes off and probably provides a satisfactory sensory experience.
And then I don't mind that the rice project turns into a "cooking" project and one certain corner of the "kitchen" is scattered with dry rice and little puddles of water.
I actually like the mess. I like that things are being tried and tested. I enjoy a certain amount of chaos and clutter. Milk crates and cardboard boxes have always been a part of our home furnishings. Makeshift pantry shelves in a corner, closet or half-bath fill a purpose. Piles of laundry get a little tiresome but they always seem to shrink eventually like a bug bite.
The rainbow-speckled, multi-colored characters in Ms Perpetual Motion's new coloring book make the mess a perfect gallery in which to display all of our creative endeavours. I just wish I could get a little more sleep so I wasn't so tired during the daily art shows.

No comments: