Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Closing



The house in the picture above no longer belongs to us. Yesterday we closed the sale. When the noon bell rang at the end of being on call I drove down to our state's metropolitan center, met Sugar Daddy, Ms Perpetual Motion and father-n-law and we all met with the title co lawyer, real estate agents and buyers. We signed our name a thousand times, listened to a bunch of mumbo-jumbo mortgage/state law/fed law/realty stuff (remember I was post call and still had EKG criteria for left ventricular hypertrophy, atrial flutter and supraventricular tachycardia pin-balling around the inside of my head; another rotation done) and got our check which we put promptly into father-n-law's hands so he could get to the bank and be able to sleep that night. It is a relief to have the house sold in this depressing housing market, however, I will always miss that house which was built, every stick, by Sugar Daddy. Ms Perpetual Motion was born in that house and to my heart's delight she proudly let everybody know that during the closing yesterday. We only lived there for a few years but those years hold some of the best memories of my life. When my grandmother died she left me the money which we used to buy the lot. My dad and my father-n-law helped Sugar Daddy build the house. Our cousin did the electrical work. Ms PM was born there. We had her first Christmas there with all of my family. Sugar Daddy got two deer the first year we lived there and I completed the first two years of medical school while there. We also made about 20 gallons of maple syrup while living there. I guess carpenters and builders always build houses and live in them for a while and then move out. I've lived in a lot of houses during my life and that one was the most beautiful, the warmest and the sunniest.

Goodbye Star Hill House

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This makes me weepy. You are very brave...I always thought we would live in our house a few years and then sell it, but once it was built it had too much of our blood, sweat and tears for me to want to leave (and now that we've added pee, vomit, and snot we'll never be able to leave).

winecat said...

Such a beautiful house! Just curious why you sold it?