Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Salad

I know something like salad should not influence my life course but there is just no way I can do residency/three years of my life (at least) in a place where I cannot stand the food. There has to at least be a tolerable salad bar.
Problems with the salad bar where I am currently rotating:
1)Can't stand the salad dressings...especially the one that is supposed to be an italian dressing but is a strange gel-like consistency instead of good old olive oil and vinegar consistency.
2)No reliable daily source of beans. I like to have kidney beans or garbanzo beans in my salad. You know when the salad is the meal it is nice to have some protein. This bar sometimes has a sort of three bean salad and I have nothing against vinegary green beans but I prefer the kidneys or chicks.
3)Lacking sunflower seeds. I see sunflower seeds as a huge asset to a salad and this place never has them. Huge oversight by caf administration.
4)Unrelated directly to salad bar but a factor none-the-less: not enough veggie options overall. I am not a vegetarian but I just cannot bring myself to eat the meat served in the cafeteria. And so I look for seafood (rare) options or veggie and they seem to be difficult to come by. Green bean casserole, stuffing and deep fried varieties of potatoes are regulars but nice steamed broccoli or green beans are only occasional and the dark leafy greens are even less frequent. I thought...oh never mind...I was going to say I thought hospitals were supposed to have something to do with promoting health. Silly me.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

What is WITH hospital and school cafeterias purveying the most revolting, unedible unhealthy food known to mankind? Don't children and sick people deserve the freshest, best most wholesome and healthful food possible? Time to start a revolution...(and will you start carrying a can of kidney beans and bottle of salad dressing with you?)

winecat said...

Oh, I agree. Having spent many a lunch or dinner in the hospital cafeterias while my husband was in the hospital there are never enough veggies and this is California!

Why don't they just cruise by Costco and pick up the big pre-cut/cleaned bags?